Summary of survey software: Platforms
This is a summary of the information included under the heading
"Platforms" for each of the software packages described on
these pages. Select the appropriate title for more information on any
The program runs under Windows, and is distributed as a compiled program
for Windows 95 or higher.
IBM PC or compatibles (286 or higher), with math co-processor.
- IBM PC or compatible microcomputer
- 640K bytes of memory
- 10M bytes of disk storage
- Printer capable of 132 characters per line
- DOS 3.2 or higher
- Math coprocessor recommended (CENVAR will run without it but much slower).
Distributed as pre-compiled FORTRAN programs. No special requirements.
Most recent version (EpiInfo 2000) requires Windows (95 or more recent
version). EpiInfo 6 requires any computer that can run a DOS
application. Note that the CSAMPLE module for analysis of complex survey
is only available in the DOS version, although it can be installed to be
accessed from the Windows version. From the on-line documentation:
The [standard, outside CSAMPLE]commands assume that the
data were collected using simple random (or unbiased systematic)
sampling. If the data were collected using a more complex design, such
as cluster sampling, then methods used to analyze the data need to take
the design into account. Epi Info for DOS, available from the Epi Info
web site mentioned on the title page of this manual, provides the CSample
program for the analysis of data collected using complex designs, and
this can be linked to the Epi Info 2000 menu if desired for use after
exporting data to an Epi Info 6 file.
Platforms that have appropriate versions of SAS.
Windows PCs, Linux PCs, and workstations running under the Solaris (Sun)
or AIX (IBM) operating system. SAS (6.12 or higher) is required.
System requirements: Any current Windows/DOS PC. Distributed as precompiled programs.
R can be run on
R is distributed as precompiled binaries for Windows and Mac, and as
auto-configuring source code for Unix. Most parts of the survey code
should be easy to port to work with S-Plus; a port of version 3.6-8
to S-Plus 8 is available.
- Intel computers with Windows 2000 or better
- Mac OS X 10.3 or later
- Most Unix systems.
Version 9.1 of the SAS System is available on the following platforms:
- Aix (64-bit), Release 5.1+
- HP/UX (64-bit), Release 11i+
- HP/UX Itanium (64-bit), Release 11i+
- Linux for Intel (32-bit): Red Hat 8.0, Advanced Server 2.1, SuSE SLES 8
- Linux for Itanium (64-bit): Red Hat RHEL 3.0
- Open VMS Alpha (64-bit), Release 7.2+ (excluding Release 7.3)
- OS/390, Version 2, Release 10
- Solaris (64-bit), Version 8 or 9+
- Tru64 UNIX (64-bit), Version 5.1A or 5.1B
- Windows (32-bit on Intel) Windows NT 4 Server, Windows 2000 Server, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Professional
- Windows (64-bit on Itanium) Windows Server 2003
- z/OS, Version 1
- Windows (all current versions from 2000 to Vista; 32-bit and
64-bit Windows varieties for x86, x86-64, and Itanium);
- Power Macintosh (OS X 10.4 or later);
- Linux (any x86, x86-64, Intel Itanium, or compatible running
Linux; 32-bit and 64-bit varieties; tested and supported operating
systems include Red Hat 6.1 (or later), SuSE 9 (or later), Fedora
Core 1 (or later), RHEL 4);
- Alpha AXP running Digital Unix;
- HP-9000 with HP-UX;
- IBM RS/6000 running AIX (32- and 64-bit varieties);
- SGI running Irix 6.5;
- Sun Solaris on 64-bit SPARC or 64-bit x86-64
Software is distributed as precompiled object program. Updates are
distributed through http protocol; the minor updates include the script
("ado") and help files, and are usually issued once in two-three weeks;
the major updates to the executable file are usually made approximately
once in a quarter. The software checks the availability of updates on
Current version is Stata 10 (as of June 2007). Multiprocessor parallel
processing version of Stata is available.
SUDAAN is distributed as a precompiled program.
For Windows PCs, a precompiled version is available, which runs under
Windows from the command line.
- PCs under Windows 95 or later versions. This is now the primary platform
- Sun SPARC computers under Solaris 2.6 and up.
For Unix systems, Fortran source code is available the site; a Fortran
(f77) compiler is required to make the executable. A precompiled version
for Sun Solaris systems is available.
VPLX has also been compiled for other platforms, such as VMS systems,
although these versions are not currently maintained. Contact the
developer for more information.
Personal computers running Windows 95, 98 or NT.
Software is a precompiled object program that does not require any other
systems except the operating system.
Return to main page for survey software