Summary of survey software:
Westat, Inc. developed and distributes this software.
Types of designs that can be accommodated.
- All variance estimates are based on replicate weights, either generated
within the program user-provided.
- Stratified or unstratified, single- or multistage designs. Finite
population corrections can be accomodated. 2/stratum designs using
BRR or Jackknife, >2/stratum using Jackknife.
- If replicate weights are generated within the program, external
control totals may be provided to be provided to perform
post-stratification or raking of the weights, and nonresponse weighting
- Multiply-imputed datasets can be analyzed.
Types of estimands and statistical analyses that can be accommodated.
- Estimates from tables (up to 8-way), including totals, means, percentages,
test of independence, and user-specified functions of variables or
estimates in cells of the table.
- Estimates of medians and other quantiles.
- Regression analysis, linear regression, logistic (dichomotomous and
polychotomous) regression, and ANOVA. Parameters estimates and tests of
Restrictions on number of variables or observations.
Primary methods used for variance estimation.
Balanced repeated replication (including the Fay method), jackknife
(several variants) and other replication methods specified by users
through the development of replicate weights (e.g., bootstrap).
General description of the "feel" of the software.
Software developed for Windows with the 'look and feel' of Windows.
Users specify request by clicking on variables, tables, etc., in a
variety of screens developed to support this activity. No
programming language requirements.
Input in SAS Transport, PC-SAS(DOS), ASCII, SPSS, ODBC formats.
Output in SPSS, SAS Transport, ASCII formats.
Platforms on which the software can be run.
Personal computers running Windows 95, 98 or NT.
Software is a precompiled object program that does not require any other
systems except the operating system.
Availability, pricing and terms.
http://www.westat.com/wesvar/licensing/ for licensing information.
- WesVar 4.0 is for sale from Westat for a range of prices depending on
platform, type of purchaser, and previous licenses. Approximate range
$350-$495 for single users, lower prices for additional users. Multi-user site license $2000-$3000.
- WesVar Version 2.12 is an older version with more limited capabilities.
This version is free, and can be downloaded from the internet.
- A free demo version is available for download.
- A student version is sold for $25.
- Web site (features, downloads and ordering information) at http://www.westat.com/wesvar/
- Information requests and ordering, email: WesVar@westat.com
- Contact address:
1650 Research Blvd.
Rockville, MD 20850
Attn: WesVar, RE 33F
Phone: (301) 294-2006
FAX: (301) 294-2040
Documentation is available free of charge from the site and includes detailed
instructions and examples. The methods of handling missing data are also
described in the documentation.
An earlier version of this software is discussed in the review article from The Survey
Return to main page for survey software